September 7, 2021
When I first brought the ’87 LT250R into my garage, I had no idea of the journey I was about to embark on. The ATV was in rough shape, with a broken case saver bolt hole, a leaky exhaust gasket, and a carburetor that had seen better days. But despite these issues, I saw potential in the machine and was eager to get to work.
As I began the restoration process, I quickly realized that this was going to be a learning experience. From replacing the kick start spring to installing a new chain and sprocket, each task presented its own set of challenges. But with each hurdle I overcame, I gained a deeper understanding of the machine and the intricacies of ATV restoration.
In the midst of working on the LT250R, I also found myself tackling other projects. Luke’s Blaster got a new top end, and despite the engine needing a complete replacement, the machine is now looking good. Our own Blaster is next in line for some upgrades, including a Tors delete and new handlebars. And the Grizzly 660 is awaiting a new stator, a task that’s proving to be an interesting challenge due to a stripped screw and some unusual washers on the OEM stator screws.
But it’s not just the ATVs that are getting an overhaul. I’m also in the process of organizing my garage, creating a workspace that’s efficient and conducive to the many projects I have on the go. It’s a big task, but I’m making progress, one step at a time.
Looking back on the day, I can say with satisfaction that I did get one project completed. It’s a small victory, but each one brings me closer to my goal. And as I continue to work on the LT250R and the other machines in my garage, I’m reminded of how much I’ve learned and how far I’ve come. And I’m excited about how much more there is to discover.